Sunday 6 April 2014

Lemon Buttermilk Cake.

It's not a baking week for me. Because I'm so tired and I just went to Batam for a short trip over the weekends.

Weekends is the only time for me to bake because 

1. I have the whole day to myself
2. There's plenty of light for me to take photos of my bake stuff
3. I have a job so I am not able to bake in the weekdays.


ok.. Anyway I shall just stop grumbling and write this cake. 

Have you guys ever tried baking with buttermilk??
I can tell you.. It makes the cake super moist and fluffy.. 
In case you guys don't know what is buttermilk , 

The term buttermilk also refers to a range of fermented milk drinks, common in warm climates (e.g., the Balkans, the Middle East, Turkey, Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka and the Southern United States) where unrefrigerated fresh milk sours quickly,[1] as well as in colder climates, such as Scandinavia, Finland, Netherlands, Germany, Poland, Slovakia and Czech Republic. This fermented dairy product known as cultured buttermilk is produced from cow's milk and has a characteristically sour taste caused by lactic acid bacteria. This variant is made using one of two species of bacteria—either Lactococcus lactis or Lactobacillus bulgaricus, which creates more tartness.

It taste like yogurt for me.
Is It? Well to me it is. 


I started baking once I reached home but by the time I finish baking It was sunset..
SIGH.



This cake suppose to be glazed.
But I skipped that as I think It's nice eating like that. 
You may want to glaze it if you like to. 


Ingredients:

3 large eggs
1 cup - 200grams castor sugar
160ml canola oil
2 tablespoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups - 250grams all plain/all purpose flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup - 240grams buttermilk
1 cup sliced almonds (optional)

Glaze:

1/2 cup - 60ml lemon juice
1/2 cup - 63grams sugar
1 teaspoon lemon zest


Method:

Preheat oven to 350F/180C
Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Sift once, set aside.
In a large bowl, combine egg, sugar, canola oil and lemon zest using whisk or wooden spoon till evenly mixed.
You may want to use the electric mixer to mix the wet ingredients, but make sure it is evenly mixed.
Slowly, add the dry ingredients and buttermilk alternating each until fully combined, don't over mixed.
Fold in sliced almond and mix thoroughly.
Place batter in oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes until golden brown or when cake tester inserted comes out clean. 
While waiting, prepare your glaze. 

Combine the lemon juice, sugar and lemon zest in a pot over medium heat.
Let sugar melt and stir for about one minute. Remove from heat and let cool.
When cake comes out let it cool slightly before pouring glaze over. 
Enjoy your moist buttermilk cake!






No comments:

Post a Comment